Kevin has started trying to wash things with a washcloth. It's really cute. He understands the concept of moving the washcloth back and forth and tries to wash walls, shelves, his high chair, etc.
Kevin has really enjoyed peekaboo lately. He will hide behind the couch and then poke his head up, and then when we growl or say peekaboo he laughs uncontrollably. Sometimes I enjoy surprising him by popping my head around the side and growling, and he thinks it's so hilarious.
He also enjoys being chased around the house. It's so cute to see him tottering on his feet as fast as he can, laughing uncontrollably, with his dad crawling behind him growling and tickling him.
Recently I bought a new pair of shoes to exercise in, and for some reason K loves them. He will come into our bedroom and get one of them, and then walk around the house with his arm in the shoe up past his elbow.
He has started to communicate by pointing with one finger, and can even communicate fairly complex things. For example, once while Ryan was in the shower, Kevin was trying to get into the locked bathroom. He came to me, said "Uh, uh, uh," (meaning "pick me up"), and then pointed the way to the bathroom. When we got to the bathroom door, he pointed at the door handle, then started pointing to the wire key up above the door frame. Another time, I was in the bedroom with the door shut, and he went to RT, asked to be picked up, and told him where to go to get to me. I think he's pretty smart!
Kevin has claimed an old Apple computer mouse and an unused printer cable as his own. He will walk around the apartment with the cord draped around his arm or hanging down from his shoulders, dragging the mouse along the floor. First pet, I guess.
On Friday Kevin had a little accident. He had climbed onto the arm of the couch, and he slipped off and bumped the windowsill. I had turned my head, so I didn't see exactly what happened, but based on the scrapes, it looks like he hit his chin on the windowsill, and his top teeth ran into his lower lip. The teeth didn't break, but the gums around his top teeth were bleeding for quite a while, and he was very, very sad. It was several hours before he started to be more normal (and at that point he seemed bent on making up for the time lost by being even more destructive and persistent), and he mainly had baby food to eat for the rest of the day so he wouldn't have to aggravate the painful area around his front teeth. The next day he didn't seem to have any problems with pain and even stuffed large amounts of muffin into his mouth (as normal) with no problems, and today he was also fine. We were torn about whether to take him to a dentist (not that anyone was open anyway). After talking with a dental school friend and two of Ryan's sisters whose kids have also had teeth knocked out or bumped (I keep insisting it's genetic), we decided to just keep an eye on the teeth for a few days and see if any of them turn dark. If that happens we will get him to a dentist. It sounds like if we had gone to a dentist that's what he would have told us to do anyway. So far everything seems fine. I kind of figured it was a matter of time before Kevin hit his teeth on something, because he just loves to climb and run and do precarious things. And he still wants to stand on the arm of the couch.
I think he's learning how to be sneaky and test us. For example, today he wanted to play with the rocks along the side of the building. Well, anyone from our apartment complex knows that this is a big no-no--we get reminded of that in the emails quite frequently. It's a reasonable rule because that's where they spray for bugs, so it really isn't a good place for kids to play. Anyway, so Kevin wanted to go over and play in the rocks, but I kept telling him no and pulling him away or blocking him. He would walk a little ways away, and then go straight back to the rocks. I think that he's testing for consistency. He wants to know if it's still against the rules three seconds later, and three seconds after that, and five seconds after that. It's something that I've noticed that he does often, and other kids do it too. Even though Kevin has tasted sand several times, he still tastes it again every once in a while (no, I don't want to know what germs are in that sand), just to make sure it's still gross, I guess. It seems like he is more determined to get into things and test us in different ways. I think part of it is that he's feeling a little bored and confined. It's just so hot and humid outside that I hate going out, but the apartment is pretty boring and small for him. Tonight I took him outside for a while because I could tell he really needed it, and it made me realize that he probably needs more outside time. Inside the apartment he has been much more whiny and difficult to deal with lately, but he was perfectly content as soon as we were outside in the open. He didn't whine once, and when we came inside he was more agreeable too. Must be a sign.
Lately he seems to look a lot like my sister Michelle did when she was little (except he's a boy). I don't have a picture of Michelle that shows what I mean, but here are a couple of Kevin that remind me of her. Maybe someone else who knew her when she was a baby will see it too.
Kevin thinks you have to walk if you're drinking water.
The bum in the air is always a favorite sleeping position.
And some more cute pictures:
I think it's so cute when he grins like this with his nose crinkled up:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(140)
-
▼
August
(13)
- Kevin-ness
- having attended both classes once . . .
- on shopping
- strong opinions: It's okay to be an introvert.
- a couple of recipes
- the breastfeeding post
- just to clarify
- K, insurance, non-fiction, school, and missionaries
- monkey in Relief Society
- edited previous post
- stir-fried dandelion stems
- surprise of the day
- at the doctor's office
-
▼
August
(13)
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
1 comment:
I agree. He is a little charmer. Sounds like he makes life an adventure!
Post a Comment