Sunday, August 8, 2010

monkey in Relief Society

I didn't realize how different it would be to have a walker as opposed to a crawler in church. This week I had Kevin in Relief Society with me, and he was all over the place! I mean, he was all over the place before, but for some reason now it's different. Maybe it's because the mischief is at knee level instead of mostly on the floor. But anyway, I found myself giving up at some point and just taking Kevin in the hall, very close to tears because I don't want to miss Relief Society every week for the next five and half months. I bring plenty of toys as well as some snacks, and that's just not enough to keep Kevin sitting still. He's in a place that he doesn't see on an everyday basis, and he just wants to explore it. Moving is a need for him, just as much as food and sleep.

After Relief Society was over, I asked the Relief Society president how far I can let him go before it's better to just take him in the hall. Her response was that in her opinion he can go "as far as you want." She said she would rather have kids wandering around in relief society than have sisters not get to be there. I really appreciated that she said that, and I intend to keep it in mind. If I were one of the people in relief society who isn't currently bringing a small child with her, I know that I would rather have the sister there, even if the child is sometimes a distraction, than know that she's out in the hall feeling disconnected from the Relief Society. I appreciated that she recognizes that there's more to Relief Society than the lesson on Sundays. It's also getting to be with people and share support for each other, and working together to build the kingdom of God.

Honestly, I'm probably still going to stress about it. But I'm still going to try to make it to Relief Society even on the weeks when it's my turn to bring Kevin, even if he goes exploring. And I hope people won't be resentful of that. I think a lot of people will be thinking, "Been there, done that."

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Ethan isn't as much of a monkey as Kevin, but he sure kept me in and out of RS today, too! He would be quiet when I took him out and noisy when I went back in!

Thankfully, Alan will take him most Sundays (when he can). I guess the countdown to nursery has begun!

Brooke said...

It might also be a good idea to take him to the Relief society room a couple times during the week, just so its not fantastically new all the time.

Brandon

Blog Archive

Followers