Recently it occurred to me that similar thoughts go through my head every time I go shopping for clothes:
Why do I bother trying on shirts that have elastic around the sleeves? My big upper arms never look good with elastic squeezed around them, and I don't need to try the shirts on to know that.
Who is determining these sizes? I do not consider myself a large or an extra large person, so why are my clothes being tagged as large and extra large?
I always come away from shopping trips feeling like I'm out of shape and not very well toned and my tummy is poochy and . . . Yes, I could do better in the area of exercise, but I don't like that I always come away from the stores feeling sad because I don't look like what "the world" says I should look like. I don't like that it affects me so much, because I really shouldn't let that bother me. I mean, who decided that women aren't supposed to have muffin tops? Do I really need to worry about what those people think of me?
I am so glad I am not a college freshman. I hope that I am more practical and mature than the girls I see at the stores shopping for their dorm room. I've always felt that there's more to life than clothes and partying, and the impression I get is that there are a lot of 18-year-olds who haven't realized that yet. I guess I look at them and listen to them and wonder if they ever think about anything of substance.
Why are there so many ugly clothes??? I think the people who design the fabric these days take all the ugliest colors, swirl them around a little bit, and then make them into low-cut-paper-thin things that resemble shirts. All I want is a plain-colored t-shirt that I can wear without three more shirts underneath it. I don't think they make them in the east.
All that being said, I've had some really good luck at Target lately. They still have the nasty ugly stuff, but I've gotten some very good deals on nice, conservative clothes there. If there was a place nearby that sold Down East Basics, I would go there too. I used to go to the BYU bookstore and buy Down East Basics t-shirts for $10 apiece, and they fit me just right and were made of good quality, thick fabric. I miss that. Next time I go to Utah, I am stocking up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2010
(140)
-
▼
August
(13)
- Kevin-ness
- having attended both classes once . . .
- on shopping
- strong opinions: It's okay to be an introvert.
- a couple of recipes
- the breastfeeding post
- just to clarify
- K, insurance, non-fiction, school, and missionaries
- monkey in Relief Society
- edited previous post
- stir-fried dandelion stems
- surprise of the day
- at the doctor's office
-
▼
August
(13)
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
3 comments:
I totally agree with you. I really dislike clothes shopping for the same reasons.
Guess what? It's not just an East Coast thing. They have the same hideous, thin, low cut stuff here in Arizona. Don't want to buy your daughter a sleeveless dress? Good luck finding anything. Want a t-shirt in the summer... nope, they only sell tank tops.
Kohl's is one of the few stores that has decent clothes here. Do they have those back East? They did in Michigan. Utah does have a lot more nice clothes available that are modest.
http://downeastbasics.com/
http://www.shadeclothing.com/
http://www.themodbod.com/
I don't know if you do any shopping online (I find that even sizes online with "fitting guides" are deceptive), but if you can figure out your sizes, I love all three of these companies! Good luck shopping! It is always a frustrating experience!
I think the clothing designers are in a sad way kinda smart. If they sell the layered look then they sell 2 and 3 times the amount of clothes. You have to buy 2 shirts to cover up instead of just one...
Who wants to wear 2 shirts every day? Not me. Not during a Texas summer!
We just spent a lot of time last week clothes shopping so I sure know what you are talking about.
Good luck to you! :)
Post a Comment