Wednesday, March 17, 2010

One more post: 8 months old on St. Patrick's Day

Today Kevin is 2/3 of a year old. He's wearing green. And he had green beans for lunch. How's that for celebrating?

Forgive me if I proceed to write a long post all about Kevin. This blog is a way to motivate myself to keep a journal, so sometimes I write things just to get them recorded. Besides, I actually haven't blogged about Kevin much for a few weeks.

Kevin can move pretty fast now. He knows his way around the apartment. He loves the kitchen, the storage closet, the bathroom, and Mom and Dad's bedroom. It's getting harder and harder to keep up with him. I've given up on trying to do anything during the day that requires consolidated time, which doesn't happen when I'm constantly trying to keep him out of things he shouldn't have. And that's fine. He gets up into the crawling position and can do bridges (up on his hands and feet), but he hasn't quite figured out how to do a real crawl.

One of his latest interests is opening and shutting doors and cupboards. We're looking into methods of locking cupboard doors, because he knows exactly which cupboard has the extra grocery sacks. Actually, I'm starting to think a gate would be a good option. He can be entertained by a door for quite a while. A couple of times he's accidentally shut himself in a room by himself and then cried because he was scared (and then I couldn't get him out because he was crying right by the door). Poor kid.

Kevin has two tiny teeth growing in, and he thinks chewing on things is a fun game. We've given him some foods that require some chewing, and although at first he didn't appreciate that he actually had to put some work into eating, he really likes it now.

It's fun to listen to him talking. The things he says the most are Bababababababa and Mamamamamama (which I'm convinced means "I'm hungry"). He enjoys blowing raspberries too. He can also click his tongue, which can actually be quite an expressive gesture. Another thing that he's figured out how to do is to suck on his mouth, if that makes sense. He kind of sucks on his bottom lip and his tongue and makes a smacking noise. I was trying to get a video of him doing it this morning, but of course he stopped and sucked his thumb as soon as the camera was out.

Kevin can get over some obstacles, such as a pile of clothes or a pillow on the floor. This has started to develop into pulling himself into a standing position. He can do it with a short box or by using someone's back if we're lying on our sides on the floor.

Sometimes he likes to lie on his back and watch what his fingers can do.

He has a new smile where he wrinkles his nose, squints his eyes, and grins. He seems to be pretty aware that he's adorable when he does that. It makes me laugh every time.


A good chunk of his day is spent in his high chair eating. It takes longer to eat table food, especially when you're just learning how.


Kevin isn't really addicted to his thumb. He generally only sucks his thumb to get to sleep (which is probably why he slept through the night at such an early age). I guess someday we'll have to work with him to stop the thumb-sucking, but right now he needs the sleep (and so do I!) and there's not a lot I can do about it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers