Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Books that are Different But Interesting

Some books are random or different enough that you have to be in the right mood to read them or else you'll hate them. But if you catch them at the right time when you're ready to read them with an open mind or just want something really different, they can be interesting. Here's a list of some books I've read that I think would fit in this category (with links to the titles on Good Reads):

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Have Space Suit--Will Travel by Robert Heinlein

Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Pinkwater (Also try Lizard Music.)

Howl's Moving Castle series by Diana Wynne Jones

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind by Hayao Miyazaki--a graphic novel that was the basis for the Studio Ghibli film produced by Miyazaki. Kevin has read this at least four times!

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy--Yes, C.S. Lewis wrote a space trilogy, and it's weird! Don't expect another Chronicles of Narnia. But it also explores some interesting subjects in theology and philosophy.

Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series

The Giver series by Lois Lowry--The first book in the series, The Giver, is fairly well known and has a familiar style and plot, but I think many people haven't read the other three books in the series, which are a little strange but very riveting. In the fourth book you get to find out what happened to the mother of Gabe, the baby Jonas rescued in The Giver. Also try Gossamer by the same author.

I also highly recommend Brandon Sanderson. His books are high fantasy and you will find them a little different, but the way he builds and explores worlds with new magic systems, religions, cultures, and politics is impressive. I would recommend starting with his Mistborn series.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers