Once when we were at a ward activity out on the grassy field behind the Institute building here in Chapel Hill, we discovered an old basketball court going wild behind the foliage (the Institute building used to be a country club complete with a swimming pool and bar, then it was used for several years for church before the stake center was built). You couldn't see the basketball court because of all the vines and bushes growing in front of it. Ryan and Kevin and several people in our ward worked very hard at the ward service project in November to clear everything away, and now you can see the basketball court. I'm excited to see the amphitheater they're planning to put there. I was very proud of Kevin for being willing to be such a good helper. Ryan got to use his machete (which he bought and actually used when he was on his mission in Argentina).
The girls and I had planned to help make hygiene kits inside, but the kits were all done by the time we got there, so we helped with the other project, which was decorating lunch bags. Apparently a local church hands out sack lunches to homeless people and they like to decorate them. It sounds simple, but it was kind of hard. It's hard to come up with a motivational quote or picture for someone who is homeless. Most of the quotes that I find inspiring just aren't especially helpful or encouraging for someone who doesn't have a house. I tried writing jokes, but I could only think of three. Oh, well.
We finished off with lunch. It was fun to spend time with friends in the ward.



No comments:
Post a Comment