Last summer while I was in Utah I bought a shirt on clearance at Shopko. Bad, bad idea. Do not buy shirts on clearance at Shopko, especially if they have embellishments on them! So I wore this shirt twice before it fell apart and shrunk up but not in, if you know what I mean. The embellishments were attached to each other with glue that was more like silly putty and the whole thing was very poorly sewn to the shirt. Most of the embellishments were ruined with the glue that melted all over them. So I thought that I could probably cut the shirt up and make a headband out of it as a present for Heidi. Attempt one was based on this tutorial. It looked pretty cool, but it was kind of thick and looked weird on Heidi's little lightly-haired head. So I tried making the headband by braiding it, but that was pretty thick too. So I went back to plan A, which was to cut a long strip of fabric about 1 1/2 inches wide, fold it hot dog style, stitch it, turn it inside out, and sew the ends together. Once that was done I sewed one of the embellishments onto it. Success! It turned out to be very cute!
Project #2 was to make personalized Christmas stockings. I was sort of looking for stockings in stores, but I kept feeling like they weren't our stockings, and finally I realized that what I wanted was to have stockings that were truly our family's stockings and that had a story behind them. So we went to Joann's and picked up a couple of yards of felt (about three times as much as we needed, as it turns out) and some iron-on appliques. I used my old stocking, the one I used growing up, as a pattern for the stocking parts and made the cuff part myself. I really like how they turned out, and I had a good time making them. We asked Santa to come to our house last because I didn't start making them until Christmas Eve after the kids were in bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment