This year we had Thanksgiving with our friends the Rasmussens and the Gillenwaters, and also the missionaries. I volunteered to make rolls, potatoes, stuffing, and pie. I made pie crust on Tuesday and pies on Wednesday. Heidi was quite excited to taste the spoon I used to mix the apple pie filling.
I made a peach pie and an apple pie, both with apple crisp topping instead of a pie crust on top. I did this last year and loved it. Unfortunately I forgot that last year I had added the topping after the pies were about half-baked already. I put it on in the beginning this time and the topping on the apple pie was a little burned. The peach pie turned out pretty well, though:
I spent most of the morning and afternoon cooking and cutting and rolling and baking. Heidi ended up in the Baby Bjorn will I rolled out the second batch of rolls, and Kevin helped by putting the cut up potatoes in the pot. Ryan helped by taking Kevin out of the house when Kevin started thinking it was his turn to use the knife!
Even though I had tried to plan ahead and get things started early, I still ended up running pretty late. Our stoves are rigged so they don't get very hot and it took quite a while for all the potatoes to get soft. I ended up making the stuffing at the Gillenwaters (which also took forever). Ryan picked up the missionaries and I rode with Annie Rasmussen so there was room for the missionaries in our car.
We had a lovely feast. Annie made a beautiful and delicious turkey, and I was so glad it turned out to be so amazing because she certainly was stressed about it. She also brought pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes (I think she and I were the only ones that ate them--but they were really good!). Zoe Gillenwater, the hostess, had cranberry sauce and olives and she made some acorn squash, broccoli, and chocolate cherry pie.
Kevin plays really well with Asha, the Gillenwaters' daughter, and they had a wonderful time running all over the house.
What kind of parents would we be if we didn't show Kevin how to put olives on his fingers?
Heidi ended up falling asleep just before dinner and didn't wake up for three hours! So kind of her! (And yes, she still slept through the night.)
After dinner Ryan took Kevin and the missionaries home and Heidi and I stayed with Annie and her baby to help clean up. We had a fun time chatting on the way home.
When I got home my family called and we drew names for sibling Christmas presents.
So we had a really nice day!
And then I collapsed in my bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment