Sunday, July 25, 2010

Cinnamon Muffins

Today I tried this recipe with half whole wheat flour, and it occurred to me that this would be a great recipe to use if you're just getting started using wheat. I think the cinnamon and brown sugar help to mask the whole wheat a little bit so that the wheaty taste isn't too overbearing. I couldn't really tell that I had added whole wheat.

Mix together:
1 cup sifted flour (or 1/2 cup white flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt

In a separate bowl combine:
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup melted shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar (I actually only used 1/4 cup today, and they still tasted great)

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together with a spoon. The batter will be a little lumpy. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and spoon the batter into the pan. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes. This recipe makes about 9 muffins.

You could also add chopped fruit. Apples or peaches would be very good.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Wheat muffins are one of my most favorite things ever. :)

We also add a cinnamon streusel topping sometimes. The kids like that!

Blog Archive

Followers