Monday, April 12, 2010

Kevin and food

I've been noticing some interesting changes in Kevin's eating habits lately. He has really increased the solid foods in the last couple of months and eats about half table food, half breastmilk, leaning towards more table food. I was really struggling with breastfeeding for a while there. Before Kevin was born I always thought I would be the mom who loved nursing her children and that it would be an amazing experience. After all, my mom breastfed six kids and I had the right attitude, so of course I was going to love it and have no problems, right? Well, what I didn't expect was that I would have such an active, curious, wiggly baby. He just has to move and grab things, even when he's eating. So feedings were becoming stressful and not so fun for me because the entire time he was shoving his heel into my arm as hard as he could, or yanking my hair, or scratching whatever skin was in his reach. And then he got teeth and decided biting was fun, and I disagreed. To solve the biting problem, I decided that if he bit me I would put him down and ignore him even if he cried so that he would realize that if he was going to bite he wouldn't get to keep nursing. The first couple of times he just crawled away and played, but the third time he wasn't done and he was really sad. I let him cry for several minutes and didn't give him any attention, and then after a while I picked him up, explained that he couldn't bite me because it hurts, and gave him some extra attention and nursed him again. I was dreading having to do it a few more times before he started to get the idea, but the problem has pretty much disappeared since then. I guess he learned his lesson. He continued to increase the amount of solid foods he ate, especially foods he can pick up and eat himself. He loves that. And then within the last week he has started to come to me begging to nurse at times when he normally doesn't eat, especially when he's getting close to bedtime. I think that means that he's starting to value the snuggle aspect of it more. A result of this is that he is much calmer during all of his feedings, and it has become more enjoyable for me again.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers