Legumes
I have been learning how to cook with legumes (that means dried beans, lentils, dried split peas, and other things). They're actually pretty easy to cook once you've done it a few times. After using dried beans for several weeks, I opened up a can of kidney beans that I still had and thought the canned beans weren't as good. Pinto beans are pretty much my favorite--I will stand over the pot and just eat them. I've also tried cooking with lentils a couple of times. I always had the impression that they weren't very good, maybe because I associated them with Lent. But I had never tried them and thought maybe I ought to before I passed a final judgment. The family cookbook has a recipe for barley lentil soup, and I have tried it twice now. It was so good! Lentils are easy because you just have to rinse them and then cook them in water--no soaking. And combined with the barley you get a complete protein without adding any meat.
Here is the recipe:
1 Tb. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cups stock
2 cups water
1 cup lentils
1/4 cup barley
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream (optional)
1 Tb. fresh parsley, minced (optional)
In a large soup pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, carrot, celery, thyme, marjoram and pepper until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add stock, water, lentils and barley to the pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley before serving. Top each serving with yogurt or sour cream and parsley.
My Cynical Thoughts about Halloween
I was kind of looking forward to having trick or treaters come this year (this was the first time I'd had trick or treaters come to my door), but it wasn't quite as fun as I expected. Trunk or treat parties started to happen at the church a few years before I felt like I was too old to go trick or treating, so I got to go a few times. Before that, we went trick-or-treating to a few people who lived in the same apartment complex as my grammy and spent some time talking to Grammy. Then we would go visit the Rosenbaums, who always had a variety of popcorn balls and sometimes other treats (they also had really cool Halloween decorations), and we would sit and visit them for quite a while too. Things were simpler then. I wish more people had that kind of experience for Halloween. We had fun dressing up and showing off our costumes and didn't worry about how much candy we could get. I don't think it's like that for most people--it felt like candy-collecting. The kids and the parents really were gracious this year. I guess it was just an eye opener for me. I may have to put some thought into what I want Halloween to be for my family. Maybe we'll add some kind of service project to make me feel better about it.
I am afraid I'm getting too cynical.
I'm going to try to end on a more positive note.
Of course, some gushing about K.
K is trying really hard to roll from his back to his tummy. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it any day now. He just hasn't figured out how to get past that arm. I think he gets pretty frustrated that he can't quite make it yet.
Missionaries
We fed the missionaries again last night. They are great young men (I feel a little odd phrasing it that way because I'm actually not that much older than them). I don't know why I used to be so nervous about inviting them to come. One of the things that was mentioned at the adult session of the last stake conference was that having the missionaries in your home is a great influence on your children. I felt good about that comment and I'm planning to invite them often so that our family can be influenced by their examples. I love the messages they share and the things they try to do to help us be member missionaries. The spiritual thought they shared last night was very timely for me. The elders also got K to laugh. I was very impressed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
2 comments:
Thanks for the lentil promo. Maybe if I hear it often enough (I know my mom loves them) I'll try them! :) I'm sure I'd like them--it's just if-y on what the kid's reactions will be...
It is nice to have the missionaries over. The kids always enjoy it. I remember being about as old as them! Now, I don't feel old, but I guess they figure we're ancient.
I completely agree about your thoughts on Halloween. It is my least favorite holiday of the year. The only thing I love about Halloween is dressing up my girls. Ali got so excited to be Cinderella.
Kevin is so handsome. What a big boy to start rolling. Watch out...since Emma has learned to roll from her tummy to her back and her back to her tummy, she rolls from corner to corner of the room. She is super close to crawling but I think right now she can get somewhere faster rolling! :) Such a fun age and it only gets better...in my opinion!
Post a Comment