This week in church we have been studying Moroni 10 in the Book of Mormon. Moroni lists gifts of the Spirit and urges his readers not to deny the gifts of God. Reading this list led me to study 1 Corinthians 12 and Doctrine and Covenants 46, which also list gifts of the Spirit. As a result, for probably the hundredth time I wondered, "What the heck are 'differences of administrations' and diversities of operations?' " I decided to do a bit of studying, and below I will share some of the insights and ideas I found.
In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, in English-speaking wards we use the King James Version of the Bible (KJV). But I've found that many times the KJV doesn't make sense, could have been translated better, or uses words that mean something different now than they did when the KJV was made. So in the last couple of years I've started using other translations alongside the KJV. Usually I use the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), but I also find the New International Version (NIV) to be useful. Biblehub.com is a good resource for comparing Bible verses in different translations and seeing the original Greek.
I made a table to compare the verses about gifts of the Spirit in 1 Corinthians 12 using three translations of the Bible, and I also compare them to similar verses in Moroni 10 and D&C 46. Similar phrases are highlighted in the same color.
|
1 Cor 12
(KJV) |
1 Cor 12
(NRSV) |
1 Cor 12
(NIV) |
Moroni 10 |
D&C 46 |
|
4 Now there
are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there
are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there
are diversities of
operations, but it is the same God which
worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man
to profit withal. |
4 Now there
are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there
are varieties of services, but the same Lord; 6 and there
are varieties of
activities, but it is the same God who
activates all of them in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for
the common good. |
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working,
but in all of them and in everyone it is the same
God at work. 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is
given for the common good. |
8 And again,
I exhort you, my brethren, that ye deny not the gifts of God, for they are many; and they
come from the same God. And there are different
ways that these gifts are administered; but
it is the same God who worketh all in all; and they are given by the manifestations of the Spirit of God unto men,
to profit them. |
11 For all
have not every gift given unto them; for there are
many gifts, and to every man is given a
gift by the Spirit of God. 12 To some is
given one, and to some is given another, that all
may be profited thereby. 15 And again,
to some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know the
differences of administration, as it will be pleasing unto the same Lord, according as the Lord will,
suiting his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men. 16 And again,
it is given by the Holy
Ghost to some to know the diversities of operations, whether they be
of God, that the manifestations of the Spirit may
be given to every man to profit withal. |
No comments:
Post a Comment