Wednesday, June 3, 2015

FamilySearch Indexing

I recently re-discovered FamilySearch Indexing, and now I'm hooked. We talked about it in the family history Sunday school class one day, and when we got home I decided to download the program and give it a try. I have a problem sometimes with checking email and Facebook too much, and I've realized that doing indexing gives me the same rush while actually being something useful, so when that itch comes I've started downloading batches to index instead. I've tried a few different types of records, but mostly lately I've been doing delayed birth records from Chicago, Illinois. If you do the same type of record enough you can do a batch pretty fast, but sometimes it's also fun to try a new type of record.

I've been in kind of a rut lately with family history. I transcribed several life histories that my aunt had sent to me, but now those are all done. I also have The History of Mapleton, both a physical copy and a digital copy that Ryan's dad scanned for me, but I'm not really sure where to start with that, so I've been reluctant to even dive in. I know there's also a lot of decluttering to do on Family Search for several of my ancestors, and I've done that a little bit, but I feel like I need a while to get immersed in it and get my bearings before I can do anything useful, which isn't always possible with kids. So it's been nice to do indexing because I still feel like I'm contributing to family history work, and I can just do it for fifteen minutes here and there. It's pretty exciting when there's a record that is very legible and has a lot of useful information because I know it could be really helpful to people searching for information about their ancestors.

1 comment:

James Tanner said...

You are always welcome to work on your own or our Family Tree problems. If you need help, let me know. :-)

Blog Archive

Followers