Sunday, December 21, 2014

Gingerbread Houses

We made gingerbread houses from scratch. I've kind of wanted to try it for a few years, but because I was in school I have always been swamped with finals around Christmastime, so I never did it. This year it actually happened, although it was partly because I'm always looking for constructive ways to keep Kevin occupied and making gingerbread houses seemed like a good way to do that.

If you want some great tips for making gingerbread houses, check out this post on the family recipe blog. I used the gingerbread cookies recipe and the 3x5 card pattern. For the frosting, I used royal icing (yuck) as the glue and decorator's icing (amazing) for the rest.

Kevin did a lot to help me with making the dough and putting the houses together. I was freaking out a little too much during the cutting out part and I sent them out of the kitchen.

I was planning to decorate the houses after school one day. Kevin actually ended up not feeling well. He slept off and on most of the afternoon and evening (on the living room floor), waking up occasionally and crying. He was pretty warm. So Heidi and I decorated her house together while Kevin slept. I had to keep reminding Heidi to leave Kevin alone, and then I remembered one of Daniel Tiger's latest jingles: When you're sick, rest is best, rest is best. So I sang that to Heidi to remind her that Kevin needed to sleep because he was sick, and she hasn't stopped singing the jingle since. It worked, though. Heidi was very cute and really enjoyed decorating her house. We just used candy canes and mint M&Ms.

The next morning Kevin still had a slight fever, so I kept him home from school. He wanted to decorate his house, so we did that in the morning, and he had a good time. Heidi added even more M&Ms to her house.

It turns out that Kevin and Heidi don't like gingerbread, so Ryan and I ate the houses. Next time I think I'll do sugar cookie houses (which I know they'll like) because I ate way too much gingerbread and frosting for my own good.

It's also really hard to get a regular smile out of these two lately.







No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers