This year we really wanted to make a trip west to visit our families, and because of various things it worked out so that we could fly there and see both of our families in Utah. We hadn't seen them for about two years. It was a two-week trip that flew by, and it was such a blessing to be able to go.
We left our house early in the morning on July 1st. Our home teacher very kindly offered to drive our van home from the airport so we wouldn't have to pay for parking. Things went pretty smoothly at the airport. Kevin and Heidi were really well behaved and did a pretty good job of staying with us. One of the things that I hadn't expected was how helpful Kevin would be. Without even being asked, he pulled the carry-on suitcase while Ryan carried Heidi's car seat and I pushed Heidi in the umbrella stroller (Heidi actually walked most of the time). I brought my boppy nursing pillow onto the plane because I really like using it and I thought it would be helpful to have it on the plane. If I fly with a nursing baby again I will just take a regular pillow. It was nice to have the nursing pillow, but it was too wide. So the arm rests got in the way and I felt bad because the pillow encroached on the space of the person sitting next to me.
The kids were all great on the plane. I had brought a bag with some matchbox cars, plastic animals, coloring books, and crayons for them to use, but I never ended up getting them out on the way to Utah or on the way back. Kevin and Heidi were interested enough in everything that was going on and all of the things in the seat pocket that they didn't need any other entertainment.
Once we got to Salt Lake City there was the usual ordeal of getting all of our bags that we had checked. Then Ryan went to the rental car area to get a car while I stayed with the kids and our bags, which was a little crazy. Then Ryan came back and we had to figure out how to haul all of our stuff across two streets and through the rental car area to get the car. Again, Kevin ended up being really helpful. Ryan had the car seats, I had suitcases with the umbrella stroller folded up and hooked onto one of them, and Kevin had the carry-on suitcase (the baby was in the Ergo Baby Carrier). Ryan and I didn't have any hands to help Heidi cross the street. So we asked Kevin to hold her hand and we were able to get across the streets and get to the car okay. Kevin was a great helper.
We had reserved a full-size car, but they didn't have any full-size cars there, so we got upgraded to a small SUV (a Chevy Captiva) that had five seats. We brought a backless booster for Kevin to use during the trip so that we could fit the kids on one row and save money on a smaller car. The Captiva looked fancy and pretty new, but after driving the car for less than two minutes Ryan said, "I can tell you right now that I will never buy this type of car." It was hard to drive and wasn't as smooth of a ride as our Chrysler Town and Country. But it worked fine for our trip.
Our second flight had been delayed because there wasn't enough help to load checked baggage into the plane, so we got to my parents' house later than we had planned and we were very hungry. We had some snacks and dinner and the kids played. My brother Ian showed us all of the cool lego things he has built.
In the evening my Grandma and my cousin Kira came for a while. They held the baby and we chatted for a while.
Sunday, July 27, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
No comments:
Post a Comment