Recently I was listening to the song Let Us All Press On and I was struck by the line in the chorus, "Fear not, though the enemy deride." It reminded me of 3 Nephi 9:2: "For the devil laugheth."
Specifically, the line reminded me how Satan enjoys making us miserable by counterfeiting the Holy Ghost.
Like most moms, I often feel like I don't know what I'm doing. A message I sometimes get from the Holy Ghost is, "You know, you've been a little hard on your kids lately. You should spend more quality time with them and give them some grace." The message I get from Satan is, "You are really messing this up. Your kids are going to be scarred for life because you are completely messing them up by doing such a terrible job." When I worry it can be hard to remember how to distinguish between those two messages. The difference is that the Holy Ghost's influence is a loving reminder that motivates me to change, whereas Satan's influence fills me with despair and strips away my confidence so that I struggle even more. This is why the line, "though the enemy deride," really stuck out to me this time. I know that the devil really wants me to fail and that he will attack our family and try to bring us all down. But I also know that God has given me the resources I need to raise these children, and he's not going to let me fail if I do my best. I know enough. (I was just looking over that blog post again and I had to laugh out loud, because although I was aware that motherhood was going to have its challenges, I can see now that I had no idea what I was getting into!)
Thursday, July 31, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
No comments:
Post a Comment