I am not a cuddler. I am a person with a space bubble. Occasionally my space bubble even becomes a porcupine skin. Sometimes it's because I don't want to be touched and I am purposely avoiding touching somebody, and sometimes I'm just avoiding it out of habit without thinking about it. Apparently it's obvious enough that when Ryan and I had recently started dating, there was a guy who saw us sitting pretty close together (not even holding hands at the time) and guessed based on that that we were dating because he had observed how much I like my personal space.
(As a side note, I think I'm lucky that I've never had a stranger touch my belly when I have been pregnant, because I really would have no idea what to do.)
For most of my life this characteristic hasn't been a problem, but recently I have become more aware of it because kids need physical touch. Part of the issue is that my kids are wiggly and when they are like that I tend to get away because I don't like being kicked and jabbed, but even then I feel bad because sometimes I find myself saying things like, "I need space!" or "Just stop touching me!" which are phrases that the kids now repeat. But even if they are calm, I often forget to cuddle them or hold them. It's just not something I think about. And I am starting to sense that my kids need more physical love than I am giving them.
So this isn't really a measurable goal, but I am trying to be more aware of this problem and give Kevin and Heidi (and Ryan) more cuddles and hugs. One thing that I know is helpful is to read books together a lot. And as they get older and more aware, maybe we can come to a compromise where we respect Mom's personal space but also have a family that shows love to each other through physical touch.
Monday, January 13, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
No comments:
Post a Comment