Sometimes when you have kids you have to learn to be flexible, and to keep a clear head when plans change at the last minute.
A couple of nights ago I was fully expecting that we were going to have oatmeal muffins and fried potatoes. The potatoes were already in the pan, and I was working on the muffins. Then out of the blue I heard a crack and the sound of styrofoam hitting linoleum. There was Kevin, standing by the fridge and staring at an egg carton on the floor.
Five eggs had broken. "All right, I guess we're having scrambled eggs for dinner," I said, and started working on salvaging the eggs. The broken eggs went into a bowl, which I left on the counter so I could rinse off the three intact ones. Scrambled eggs are no big deal--we would just be having a nice big dinner.
After cleaning off the eggs, I turned to find the bowl tilted on its side. There was a puddle of eggs on the floor, and one egg yolk still floating in the bowl. Why do I keep forgetting that Kevin can reach that high? I don't know if it's to my credit that Kevin pointed down at the puddle and said, "No! No!" But I'll have you know that I didn't yell at him this time. Occasionally my patience still comes to my rescue, tried as it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(144)
-
▼
May
(18)
- Cooking Beans Part 4: refried beans
- Cooking Beans Part 3: preparing beans ahead of time
- Well, I wasn't planning to publish the previous po...
- last couple of weeks in review
- cooking beans Part 2: boiling
- cooking beans Part 1: rinsing and soaking
- Is it worth it to bake your own bread?
- tummy comparisons
- snuggling
- this week
- on being a mother
- Jeffrey R. Holland on motherhood
- milk food
- notes about decluttering
- pennies in his pocket
- lessons in being flexible
- Data, please.
- Kevin's latest tricks
-
▼
May
(18)
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
No comments:
Post a Comment