Sunday, December 5, 2010

a little guessing game

Guess how much I spent for all of this food.


Yes, that's Ryan's head in the top left hand corner. He thought it would be funny to jump into the picture.

I've been getting a little disenchanted with couponing lately. It's not so much that I don't like clipping the coupons and making the list. I still enjoy seeing how much I've saved. I do feel like it has made a difference in our budget and that it helps us have more money to spend on things like produce. It's just that it's getting harder to find a good time to go grocery shopping. A grocery trip usually takes a couple of hours, whether I clipped coupons or not. That's time that could be spent doing homework or getting dinner ready on time or spending quality time with my friends or with Ryan and Kevin. If I go during the day, Kevin has to come, and that's a pretty long time for him (for those moms who do it with three kids or even more, I really admire you). And it's hard to find a good time to get my list and my coupons ready. If I can just get some uninterrupted time, it doesn't take very long, but if Kevin is underfoot then it's really stressful because he will reach up and take/crumple/scatter everything. Lately I've been getting groceries late at night because Ryan is home and Kevin is in bed, but I don't like to go out in the dark or lose my evening with Ryan. Plus, at night the grocery stores generally just have the self-checkout lines open, which I think is a pain, especially when I'm buying enough stuff that there's not enough room for it in the bagging area, and if you try to move things the computer tells you to put it all back. I ended up doing two transactions because I knew it would never all fit.

So anyway, because of all those things I've found myself skipping grocery shopping lately even if there are some good sales, because I just don't feel like going. But today I decided to make my grocery trip anyway, and when I walked out I realized I had gotten a ton of stuff and hadn't even spent very much. So I guess I'm going to keep watching sales and matching my coupons after all.

My total spent was $18.93. How much would you have guessed?

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Now I'm disappointed that I didn't take a minute to make a guess before I read your answer. :)

Good for you! I've never gotten more than one Sunday paper so I'm kind of limited on how many coupons I get. But, when there is a good one it really pays off!

Amy T said...

Wow. That's great! Good for you! In my case, the fresh milk would have cost almost half that amount.

I find that I have a bit too much going on right now to spend time on coupons. Perhaps once Dan is in school in a couple of years. Do you have Aldi there? I can usually match coupon prices by shopping at Aldi, but that only works if you have one nearby.

SeelyFamily said...

Way to go!!! I love coupons and great deals! Couponing is how we are trying to build our food storage.

Blog Archive

Followers