The day after we moved into our house was Sunday. All the food was still back in the apartment, so we ended up having leftover pizza for breakfast. We went to Stake Conference and had a nice meeting. Afterwards one of the counselors in the bishopric snagged us and gave us new callings in the ward. Ryan is a Webelos den leader and I am a Sunbeam teacher.
After church we went to the apartment to get the food and other things that we needed.
On Monday the kids caught the bus for the first time and it was a big game-changer for me. I had been shuttling everybody to work and school for the past month and now I didn't have to wait in the car line for the kids. Ryan takes the van to work most days since Kevin and Heidi can ride the bus. So that change has probably added at least two hours to my day.
Unpacking is obviously a pain. After a week most of the essentials like the kitchen were unpacked and put away and we were mainly down to the books, pictures/decorations, and random boxes of things we weren't sure what to do with.
I had to shuffle boxes and furniture around so that I could get the bookshelves where I wanted them, and then once the books were put away that got rid of a lot of boxes. (I ended up moving the shelves somewhere else later to make room when we bought a new couch, but oh well.) Finally after what felt like too long we got the living room mostly cleared out and organized and I was able to sweep the floor! We have an attic and a garage, which means we have a ton of extra storage space, which has been awesome, even if I'm afraid for my life every time I go up the attic stairs.
There were a lot of things that we were excited to see again. Pulling out the books was so exciting. We have a lot of great books! The piano is terribly out of tune, but it's still great to have one.
Other than a small patch of carpet in the master closet, the entire house is uncarpeted, mostly hardwood laminate. Having the table over the kitchen tile has been a fabulous change after eating over carpet for eight years! Spills are so much easier to clean up!
We went shopping for some rugs for the living room and playroom. Apparently I haven't taken any pictures with the rugs yet, but we got some fun ones! Heidi and Ann Marie got a little round purple rug for their bedroom. We still haven't found one that would work for Kevin's room.
Walmart had these skinned Muppets for sale and the kids thought they would like them for their rooms, but Ryan and I vetoed that option.
The kids have loved having a yard. They're back there every day and they love helping (or "helping") with the yard work. For me it's been a great change because I can let them go play in the back and still work on dinner, which was not an option at Baity Hill. We've had to invest in a lot of yard tools (like a lawnmower, which is expensive!). So far we're mainly just doing basic things like mowing the lawn and raking up the pine needles (which are out of control because we have a bunch of pine trees), but we're working on plans for having a garden next year.
A few other random pictures:
Pretty paint swirl:
"Speed bump devices ahead." Speed bump devices?
We have a pantry!
One morning it was raining really hard and when we woke up we realized the kids had all already gone outside and played in the rain. Ann Marie was completely soaked and was having the time of her life. Here's a video I got: https://youtu.be/83YB8xRyxZ4


















No comments:
Post a Comment