Sunday, February 2, 2014

Goodreads Review: The Hiding Place

The Hiding PlaceThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There are some powerful lessons here about how God can teach us to forgive and love others more perfectly. I loved the way Corrie's father taught her that even though she couldn't love Karel in a romantic way anymore, God could help her learn to love Karel the way He loves Karel, which is a perfect love. And later she realized that it had happened because God had changed her heart.

I also appreciate the theme that God prepares us for the things that we must do. Because she learned to love Karel the way God does, later on Corrie learned to have perfect love for cruel people who didn't deserve or want her love. When she offered a prayer to God saying that she would give herself to save His children, He gave her dreams to prepare her for the possibility that as a result of her selfless offering, she would endure terrible things. And I also think it's really cool that she was blessed with the spirit of discernment so that she could tell which people she could trust to help with hiding Jews in danger, as well as other talents that helped her to save many lives.

When I read this as a teenager, I thought the title referred to the secret room on the top floor of their home, but now I realize that she was referring to how Christ is a hiding place and a refuge for all of us.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers