I have been in a rut when it comes to sewing lately. I have a lot of fabric that my grandma sent home with me last summer when we visited, but I've been having a hard time getting started on anything. I have grand plans for what I want the clothes to look like when I sew them, but I'm scared to death that when I'm done they won't look as good as I imagined, which would be pretty depressing after spending all that time sewing. My other problem is that I bought some patterns a long time ago, and now the measurements are too small for the skirts I wanted to make for myself. Finally it occurred to me that I should just do some of the things I wanted to make for Heidi, because pretty much everything looks cute on her. So Heidi got a sweet new jumper.
Sorry the pictures don't have a glamorous background, but she was holding still, so I took the opportunity.
The pattern I used was Butterick B4718. It is a great pattern. There were a couple of parts of the instructions that weren't clear, but I was able to figure them out. I put a lot of effort into making this a good quality garment, and the work paid off. Often when I just follow a tutorial online I end up with something that looks pretty good, but I still feel dissatisfied because I know about the hidden flaws. I don't feel that way about this dress. I did all the extra steps that aren't necessary but make the garment look more polished, like the understitching, and it made a difference. I was so proud of myself for figuring out how to sew the zipper in. I remember having to have a lot of help from my grandma sewing zippers in when I was in 4-H, so I was nervous, but in the end the zipper looked really nice. Rather than cutting on the size lines, I folded the pattern at the size I was using so that I can unfold it and use it again for more dresses as Heidi gets older.
I did make one alteration. The skirt wasn't lined in the pattern, but I wanted it to be lined so that I won't necessarily have to worry about a slip, so I added a lining. After I had sewed in the zipper, I sewed the skirt lining in at the seam where the skirt and bodice were stitched together, stopping about an inch away from the zipper on both sides. Then I hand-stitched the skirt lining to the zipper on the inside. An added bonus that I hadn't thought about is that Heidi won't have the itchy end of the zipper poking her.
The one thing I'm a little sad about is that the bodice is a little bit too wide. I'm not surprised because Heidi's measurements were about an inch smaller than the smallest pattern size, so I expected it to be a little big. I might add a couple of little pleats in the front to make it fit better, but I do think it looks fine as it is.
This is the first time I've made anything with a purchased pattern since high school. Most of my sewing projects have been based on tutorials I find online because they're free (whereas patterns can be expensive), but I think I'm going to use patterns more often. As I was making this dress, I found that it was much more enjoyable to make it because everything fit together so well.
Want to know the total cost? The fabric was free, the zipper was $1.19 after my 40% off coupon, and the pattern was $1 (watch for pattern sales!). I don't remember what I paid for the thread, but it's probably negligible. So the total cost for me was about $2.20.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
1 comment:
Yea! Cute dress! I love the little rosebud patterned cloth--you're lucky to have it because I don't think you can buy it anymore. Becky's blessing dress (if I'm remembering correctly) has a similar yellow rosebud print.
Post a Comment