When I was in Junior Primary I probably looked at pictures of children being baptized many times. The girls were always in pretty white dresses. So when I imagined myself being baptized at age eight, that was how I expected it to be.
When I was about to turn eight, I was talking to my mom one day about how excited I was to get baptized. I told her, "I can just see myself stepping into the water in a beautiful white dress . . . " At this point my mom interrupted me to clarify that nowadays everyone gets baptized in white jumpsuits. I didn't know what that meant, but from her description I concluded that it was plain and not especially feminine (they're basically white one-piece shirt/pants things with a zipper on the front). The idea was pretty repulsive to me. I was troubled because I really wanted to get baptized, but I also wanted to look beautiful like the girls in the pictures. Years later, my mom told me she wasn't sure if I would consent to be baptized if I had to be baptized wearing one of these jumpsuits. (I'm pretty sure I would have wanted to get baptized anyway, but at the time the idea of the jumpsuits was a little disappointing to my romantic mind.)
My mom ended up making me a lovely white dress to be baptized in. I felt beautiful in it. It was a sacred and happy experience. I remember that after my dad baptized me I was filled with a sensation of joy and light. It was a feeling that I experienced again after I received the Endowment at the Ogden temple.
Oh, and since then I have worn white jumpsuits many times when I went to do baptisms for the dead at the temple. It's true that they're not very feminine, but they're sturdy, versatile, and functional.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2013
(96)
-
▼
April
(13)
- Kevin got to talk to my dad on the phone last nigh...
- memory lane: my baptism dress
- The Poky Little Puppy--What Really Happened
- Psychic
- abandoned quarry Occoneechee Mountain State Park
- cute pictures of Heidi
- on the adorableness and cleverness of my dear chil...
- ramblings about school
- Sed/Strat field trip
- "I never want to let my sisters down spiritually."
- Croatan National Forest, Trip 3
- sleeping like when he was a baby
- practicing the piano
-
▼
April
(13)
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
No comments:
Post a Comment