Sunday, October 30, 2011

first camping trip as a family

About a week ago we took Kevin and Heidi camping for the first time. Our friends the Hales were going and invited anyone else who wanted to go to join them, so we decided to go too.

Initially my main concern was that we would never get Kevin to go to sleep, but then a cold front came in and I was afraid the children would be very cold at night. It was a little cold, but it wasn't frigid. I put Heidi in an undershirt, plus the outfit she had been wearing all day, footed sleepers, and a sleeping sack, and then we wrapped her in a couple of blankets. Kevin wore two layers of pajamas and a sweater.

Kevin was very excited about all of the new things that were happening. He liked hearing all the dogs barking in other people's campsites. He was sort of confused when we put his sweater back on over his pajamas, and he started asking for his shoes because usually wearing sweaters means going outside. Then when we read him scriptures and sang a primary song and said a prayer with him he started asking for his bed, but he settled down okay in his sleeping bag after a while. He ended up crawling back out of the sleeping bag and falling asleep on top of it, so I covered him up with his two blankets and another blanket and hoped he wouldn't get too cold. He slept pretty well until about 3:30 at night. Then he woke up very disoriented and started crawling around and saying, "Bed? Bed?" He finally crawled into Ryan's sleeping bag and slept until about 7:00 there. I don't think Ryan slept very well after that.

Once Kevin was up for the day he spent the next fifteen minutes squealing and barking and shouting, "I see a rock! I see a rock!" I was slightly embarrassed that we were the obnoxious family with the two-year-old who was waking everyone else up, but I guess that's camping for you. It was very cute. Kevin had a fun time the entire morning. We found our friends, the Hales and the Hanifords, and spent some time chatting with them in between chasing Kevin.

By the time we got things packed back into the car it was past noon, and Kevin and Heidi fell fast asleep in their car seats by the time we started driving, so we didn't do any hiking like we planned. Ryan and I did each take a turn to walk to a lookout so we could get a good view of Pilot Mountain. It was a really nice view. The leaves were changing, so the colors were very vibrant and beautiful. We really enjoyed getting to see all the fall colors.

Kevin got chocolate all over his hands and decided to use his face and blanket to clean up.


Here is our campsite.



Ryan got a little fire going--it didn't last too long, though, because the wood was damp (and he was busy chasing Kevin).




There were tons of these daddy-really-long-legs hanging out by the restrooms.















1 comment:

Tiffany said...

What cute photos of the kids! It looks like a great outing (and sounds cooold-brr!). The mountain view is stunning! Fall colors--wow! (With the drought this year all the trees here will probably just turn brown and drop their leaves if they aren't already dead!)

Blog Archive

Followers