Sunday, February 27, 2011

do as I'm doing

I've been noticing pretty often lately how much Kevin enjoys copying us. Here are some of the things he likes to do because we do them:

He likes to wear ponytails on his wrist, and he will sometimes put his hands behind his head like I do when I'm putting a ponytail in my hair.

If he can get a hold of my hair straightener he tries to put it up to his head and open and close it like he's fixing his hair.

When I am putting in my contact lenses, he will put his finger in the saline solution and then poke his eye.

I've caught him with my eye shadow trying to poke his eye with the eyeshadow brush--now I keep my makeup higher up where he can't reach.

Once I was furrowing my eyebrows because I was feeling concerned about something, and RT reached over and massaged my forehead to bring that fact to my attention. Then Kevin came over and squeezed RT's forehead the same way!

He likes to draw with a pen (and prefers to use the same piece of paper we are trying to use).

He pushes the elevator buttons and tries to unlock our front door with my keys.

He climbs onto the toilet and puts on the "diaper-flushing" gloves (ick!). He also enjoys flushing the toilet.



He asks for my lotion and rubs it on his hands like I do.

He enjoys washing surfaces with washcloths.

He likes to wear my shoes.



He likes to use a fork or spoon, and he often wants to cut his own slices of bread (which we don't let him do).

He likes to pretend to drive the car.

He waves his arms as if he's directing a choir. Often he will pull out my piano music and prop it on the couch so he can direct the singing, and at church or during Family Home Evening he will lead when we sing.

If we are having a long conversation he will start trying to include himself by waving his arms wildly and talking rapidly.

He copies both the good and bad we do. For example, he has adopted my frustrated sighs and growls. Or maybe he's just doing it when he spills and throws and breaks things so that he can save me the effort. He often copies us if we make interesting sounds.

He points at spills or messes he has made and says "No! No! No!" We've also started to notice him feeling tempted to do something and then he folds his arms and says "No! No!" to himself very sternly. I'm glad he's starting to develop some self-restraint. : )

He enjoys learning new signs by copying my hand motions. He's always pretty excited to sign "sit" when he's climbing onto the table and I tell him not to. Another new sign is rubbing his hands together when he wants to get washed after a meal. (I'm not sure if this is the real sign for this, but it seemed like a good way to sign it so that's what I taught him to do.) Lately he's become a lot more aware of his hands being sticky.

He knows how I make popcorn! Yesterday he saw the big red bowl in the cupboard and asked me to give it to him, and then he pointed up at the cupboard where I keep the popcorn popper. (And he was quite upset with me when I refused to make popcorn because we were making dinner.)

He likes to use open cups like Mom and Dad.

He helps put away the silverware from the dishwasher by throwing it into the drawer (not so exciting when the dishes in the dishwasher are still dirty, but still very kind of him, of course). He also gets out the dishwasher soap for us.

He puts on oven mitts and tries to put pots and pans on top of the stove.

He takes clothes out of the hamper and throws them on the floor in different piles like he's sorting the clothes.

He tries to plug things into the walls (and then loses his power cord privileges for a while). I'm glad most of our plugs have covers.

Anyway, he's a funny kid and I really enjoy his copying. It keeps me on my toes.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers