Monday, February 15, 2010

RT and M's goings-on, mostly involving school

RT

RT is getting into some research for his master's thesis (yes, this is a PhD program, but he can do a master's project along the way if he wants). There are a lot of big numbers and Greek letters and integral signs involved, as well as a lot of writing/using computer codes, so I don't understand much of it, but he's figuring out some interesting things. I enjoy it when he explains things that he is figuring out. He is making models to better understand how galaxies work, so he brings home some pretty cool animations. He and his advisers have also been working on a request to get some time on the Hubble Space Telescope so they can get some data for their research. Pretty cool, huh? He is taking a visualization class (one of those special classes that are only offered occasionally, not on a regular basis), which is perfect timing because it is about things that will help him with getting his thesis ready.

RT is also still in cub scouts. He moved up to Webelos with the boys who were in our Bear den last year. I think he's having a good time with them. He says that some are already close to earning their Arrow of Light.

M


I am still in school, taking Calculus II. It has been a challenge for me. I don't have a lot of time or energy (essential ingredients for success in math classes), and I just don't have a lot of interest in it like I used to. A couple of days before my first test I had practically decided that I was definitely going to quit school, but I changed my mind and I'm going to plow through this beast of a class and see if it gets better once I get into the meat of my program. I remembered that there are so many things that I really want to understand and learn about, and Calculus is necessary for me to accomplish that. I'm finishing my fourth year of college, and it's frustrating that because of various things I couldn't have planned for I haven't made a lot of progress towards a degree, and now I'd rather be doing mommy/homemaker things. But I am glad that I have this opportunity to learn, and I do feel that it is important for me to continue my education, at least for now. The general authorities have talked a lot lately about getting as much education as we can, and I feel that right now this is the way I need to obey that counsel. Learning is important to me, and even though it's hard I am grateful that I have been blessed with the opportunity to attend college. Like I said, once I get past Calculus I will probably enjoy it more. I appreciate having something to do that is for my own growth and enjoyment, outside of being K's mamamamamamama.

I am also making some changes in my plans for my education. I am currently enrolled in the Science Education program at NCSU, but I will probably be transferring to UNC to study Environmental Geology. I was looking hopelessly at my degree audit one day and thinking about the zillions of long bus rides to NCSU that I would have to take for several more years, the eight unbearable education courses I was going to have to take, the student teaching I was somehow going to have to complete while still being a mom, and the disrespectful and apathetic high schoolers I would have to teach if I ever needed to get a job. And then I started looking at majors at UNC, and Environmental Geology stuck out. I would graduate faster, the material interests me, the classes I've already taken will count towards the new major, and my classes would be a fifteen-minute bus ride away. In case you were wondering, this will be the fourth college where I have earned credit. Yeah. (Sigh.) It's a little frustrating, but I do know that there was a reason I was supposed to go to NCSU first. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that I had some small missionary moments, but someday I will understand.

I think I needed to get that out of my system.

1 comment:

Amy T said...

Thanks for the update. Best wishes with your studies.

Blog Archive

Followers