I have had a few people ask me if I've had any fun ideas for decorating the baby's nursery. Honestly, it didn't even occur to me that I should (and no, I still don't feel like I have to). I was thinking we would just get a crib, some kind of storage compartment for clothes, and maybe a soft chair to fall asleep in at three o-clock in the morning (or afternoon), and then we might make some kind of mobile so he doesn't have to stare at the white ceiling. He's not going to care, and it wouldn't be any different from any other room in the apartment. While reading various things about baby care, I've realized that people really do go all out to decorate the baby's nursery. Some people choose a new theme for each of their children and buy the complete bedding set to make the room look perfect. They have to buy the most adorable crib, dresser, book shelf, toy box, tea party table, and more, and then make sure the paint and all the furniture have coordinating color schemes. Then of course there is the stenciling for the walls and a cute Noah's ark border with matching curtains. In all, it can cost thousands of dollars. Amazing. I had no idea. I have no problem with a little creative decorating--it's not my idea of fun, but go ahead if you like it. But spending thousands of dollars?
I read about this idea online--definitely a winner: Buy a belly casting mold and make a cast of your belly when you're at about 8 1/2 months in your pregnancy. It will be a great memento for you and your baby, and you can do all sorts of fun things to decorate it--paint it to match the color scheme of your nursery, use stencils, or even paste the ultrasound photos on it.
Ummmmm . . . no way.
I liked the way my sister-in-law Kristi decorated her girls' bedroom--with lots of their own artwork, plenty of books, and several small items and decorations that made it a safe, happy room. Looking around that room, I could tell that she had tried to put in simple reminders to her girls that she loves them and that they are children of God. That's the kind of thing I want to focus on in the little decorating I do in all the rooms in our house. I think that other than the basics, the only things I must have to decorate the nursery are a picture of Christ and of the temple.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
4 comments:
What? No matched bedding? And you're not going to purchase an expensive, color-coordinated matching changing table, dresser, footstool, shelf, picture frames, wall hangings, mobile, diaper pail, diaper holder, and baby wipe warmer?
My children all complain about how they were deprived because they didn't ever have these things! Uh-huh. Nope.
You've got the right idea. Spend time (and money) only on the important things.
I remember making a mobile for Amberly to hang over her crib! Let's see--we got a crib second-hand, bought a new inexpensive dresser for us and passed down our second-hand one to her, and found a few other things on sale. We were living in an apartment in Provo (Alan was working and I was going to school).
I've had fun making a few changes with each baby. We've gotten a better crib (still second-hand) and I've sewn some curtains and a crib dust ruffle. I made some little planet and star wall decorations for one of the children (Spencer?).
It's fun to create and do a few fun things when you can, but there is no reason to spend money (especially if you don't have it!) on an elaborate nursery that will just have to be changed in a couple of years.
Focus on what you like and what's important--you have the right idea! (By the way--a changing table is definitely not a necessary item! Just get some waterproof changing pads--ones you can wash! You can change the baby anywhere.)
I think you nailed my decorating strategy down flat--what can I do for about $5 that is cheerful and happy and emphasizes the important things in life? You're right not to stress out about decorating the nursery. Our decorations have come in a gradual process as the girls have become old enough to notice more things.
Belly casting?! Are you serious?! I spend 9 months after the baby arrives trying to forget the previous 9 months. I don't need a constant reminder of how I look as a beached whale! (Unless my goal is to never be pregnant again.)
Post a Comment