I don't really feel like the meloxicam helps much. I've been taking it before going to bed at night and I don't really notice any difference. The main things that help are good posture and not staying in any position for two long. I also can't take any other NSAIDs while I'm taking meloxicam, so no ibuprofen or Tylenol.
So anyway, interesting development: I'm getting hives on my arms and shins. Unfortunately, I will probably never know for sure if this is an allergic reaction to the meloxicam because it could also be poison ivy. Earlier this week I was clearing out an area in our yard that had some poison ivy in it. I'm inclined to think it's the medicine because I have a patch of hives on my underarm up near my sleeve line and on my chin (where I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have touched a poison ivy root), and I'm also pretty sure that I couldn't have brushed up against enough poison ivy to make this many hives, but I won't know for sure unless I start getting hives on my torso. (I know, it was stupid to be doing yard work there without wearing long sleeves, but it's hot in Georgia and I took a risk.)
I guess I could keep taking the meloxicam to see if I keep reacting, but that would be kind of a dumb idea, plus I don't see any reason to take it when I'm not seeing much benefit from it. We really need to get established with a family doctor so we can have someone to call about stuff like this.
My back is gradually improving. By the end of the day today I was able to walk around fairly normally. I'm sure it will hurt again tomorrow morning after not moving much during the night, but I'm fairly hopeful that I will heal well.
The doctor told me that I need to be careful about leaning forward to do things. If I can I'm supposed to stand up straight to pick things up instead of bending over. It seemed reasonable at the time, but here are things I "can't" do:
- move clothes from the washer to the dryer
- change a diaper
- pick up Ann Marie
- pick up a clothes basket
- load the dishwasher
- put dishes away in low cupboards and drawers
- pick up toys or toy bins
- take out the trash
- weed the garden
- push a stroller
- use a dust pan (sweeping works)
- vacuum
- shave my legs
- clip my toenails
- drive a car
- lean over to spit out toothpaste
- put pants on
Some of these will probably be doable in a few days if I keep healing at this rate, but I should probably be careful for at least a few weeks so I don't get hurt again.
The kids have been fairly understanding and helpful. They cleaned their rooms today and mostly picked up the mess in the living room. They've been pretty good about picking things up for me so I don't have to bend down.
No comments:
Post a Comment