Since Ann Marie was born I've really wanted to put some emphasis on my health. I want to be strong again and have more energy. I also want to lose a lot of body fat, but I'm trying to focus on feeling better rather than how I look. It's taken me a while to figure out what I want to do to get more fit. I've been going for walks a few times a week, but I've been wanting to do more.
I decided to start with the Couch to 5K running program. I've been interested in it for a few years, but I never got motivated enough to try it before. Last Tuesday I found Robert Ullrey's podcasts and downloaded the one for the first week. I've finished the first week now and I thought it was great! He tells you when to run and when to walk and has a very friendly and motivating voice. It was a bit of a push on the first day, but I can tell that it's getting easier for me. I think I'm going to repeat week one this week before moving on because I'm still feeling pretty tired at the end. I think this will work for me. I feel like it's okay for me to start slow if it means that I can stay motivated. I was really turned off by running when I was on the track team in middle school because the coach expected too much of me (but didn't give me much advice or support), so I appreciate that with Couch to 5K I get some guidance but don't have anyone pushing me too hard and giving me disapproving glares. Even though I'm sweaty and tired when I get back from my runs, I also have a feeling of exhilaration and pride in what I've done.
I've also been wanting to strengthen my core, and a friend suggested that I could try Pilates. I tried it once in high school and I remember liking it, so I thought I'd give it another try. I went to a class at the YMCA yesterday and enjoyed it. It was really difficult for me, but the instructor was really understanding and didn't push me too hard. There was a really friendly and supportive atmosphere, with people of all different ages. I felt like this is a place where they're just happy that I'm trying to get more fit. I don't have to be as strong as everyone else. I'm planning to start going to this class twice a week.
Both the Couch to 5K program and the Pilates classes have a scheduled element to them, which I'm hoping will help me to stay consistent so that I can make progress.
I've been thinking about Victor Frankl's lecture (embedded above) and how it applies to me and exercise. I often give myself a hard time when I get out of the habit of exercise for a while. But it occurred to me this week that it's better for me to aim for consistency and keep making fitness goals, because even though sometimes I fall short, it's better than if I didn't even aim, because if I don't bother then I won't do anything and then my heart and muscles and emotional well-being will suffer the consequences. I want to be healthy so that I can play with my kids, have the energy to fulfill all of my responsibilities, be happier, and live a fuller and longer life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2014
(95)
-
▼
August
(13)
- "How to clean up a mess."
- Tomorrow is Kevin's first day of Kindergarten. We ...
- on exercise and fitness
- on "taking names to the temple"
- Who is that person?
- about the kids
- Utah 2014: Day 16
- Utah trip 2014: Day 14 & 15
- Utah 2014: Day 13
- Utah 2014: Day 12
- Utah 2014: Day 11
- Utah 2014: Day 9 & 10
- Utah 2014: Day 8
-
▼
August
(13)
Followers
Labels
Adam and Eve
(2)
Allison
(1)
Ann Marie
(34)
anniversary
(2)
Apartment
(3)
baby
(26)
beach
(1)
beans
(6)
birth story
(3)
birthday
(14)
books
(26)
bread
(8)
breastfeeding
(3)
busy bags
(1)
camping
(1)
Christ
(19)
Christmas
(22)
Chronicles of Narnia
(1)
cleaning
(5)
cloth diapers
(4)
cooking
(15)
Couch
(1)
crafts
(2)
craigslist
(1)
croutons
(1)
Dad
(3)
date
(2)
decluttering
(10)
decorating
(3)
dreams
(1)
Easter
(1)
family
(17)
flowers
(1)
food storage
(22)
for posterity
(4)
friends
(2)
gate
(1)
genealogy
(6)
goals
(5)
gratitude
(1)
hair
(6)
Halloween
(5)
health
(13)
Heidi
(117)
Holy Ghost
(8)
ice cream
(6)
joy
(1)
July 2014 trip
(12)
K
(222)
laundry
(6)
Learning in the Gospel
(5)
miracles
(3)
miscarriage
(1)
motherhood
(53)
music
(7)
names
(2)
nutrimill
(2)
oatmeal
(2)
occupational therapy
(4)
old wives' tales
(1)
peace
(3)
pie
(5)
potty training
(2)
powdered milk
(2)
pregnancy
(6)
projects
(16)
questions
(3)
rants
(13)
repentance
(8)
Rolling Over
(2)
RT
(24)
Ruby
(1)
school
(61)
service
(5)
sewing
(12)
shopping
(8)
snow
(7)
SPD
(3)
temperance
(1)
temple
(5)
Thanksgiving
(9)
things we have done
(119)
thoughts
(160)
trials
(9)
tummy
(9)
Utah trip 2012
(7)
van
(2)
voting
(2)
weather
(6)
weddings
(2)
wheat
(5)
No comments:
Post a Comment