Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Before I had Kevin I had many ideas about what good moms are like. I'll spare you the full list. One of the things that good moms do, I was certain, was take their children to the library once a week. The image I had in my head was of sitting in the children's section, with my child snuggling blissfully in my lap, reading a book together. We would likely spend half an hour on the same six-page board book, because there would be frequent pauses to answer all of my brilliant little one's questions and adorable comments, and I would also ask many questions that would help his brain develop so he would be incredibly intelligent. You know, things like, "Kevin, this is an alligator. What letter does alligator start with? What color is the alligator? Look at the alligator's sharp teeth . . . What do you think alligators like to eat?" Blah blah blah.

So when I recently decided to start taking Kevin to the library because I was getting tired of reading the same old books over and over again, I knew perfectly well what to expect, but subconsciously I guess I was still envisioning the scene I just described. I should have known better. Maybe he's just not old enough, or maybe it's just his personality, but every trip to the library ends up involving me chasing him up and down the aisles trying to prevent him from throwing the contents of all the shelves in the adult section on the floor. And if he does calm down, it's because he's climbed up onto a stool and is playing with one of the computers, which drives me crazy because we didn't come to play with computers, we came to check out some books. And he has absolutely no interest in sitting and reading books, or even choosing books for that matter. If I choose some books for him he always seems to hate them at home, which is odd since he loves reading his own books. And then when I decide it's time to check out and go home, there's inevitably a tantrum, which is incredibly embarrassing in a library.

So I've decided that library trips are going to just be for me for a while. I'll go and check out the books that I want, and for Kevin we'll stick with the books he already has, since those are the only ones he wants to read anyway. And guess what? It doesn't mean I have failed.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I always enjoy reading your posts (even if I don't comment on each one)!

Yes, I think that's about what it's like to go to the library with a 2-year-old! Best of luck to you.

Do they happen to have any story time programs? Sometimes kids enjoy those (it's not guaranteed, but some will sit for them). After going to story time we usually grab a few books and leave as quickly as possible.

I also find it helps to contain a toddler in a stroller. They can still reach the books and empty shelves so it isn't always fool proof--and sometimes they won't stay in a stroller--but it might be worth a try. ? When you go to the library by yourself you could aways check out a few books for the kids--maybe in a few months? If Kevin sees them around he may eventually get interested in them. :) Or, don't worry about it for now, that works, too!

Kristi said...

We have also entered the "difficult library stage" with Zach. I put all the books I really want on hold in advance (for myself and the kids) so we can just make a quick exit from the library if we need to and not be disappointed if we don't have a lot of browse time.

Blog Archive

Followers