Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving

We had a nice Thanksgiving visiting RT's sister, her husband, and their five kids. We went up on Wednesday and experienced lovely traffic on the busiest traveling day of the year, including waiting three hours just to get through the toll lanes at the border of Delaware (which meant it took us about eleven hours to get there). RT's sister cooked some amazing food for Thanksgiving. I was amazed to watch her go--she really had the system down. I had brought two pumpkin pies, and there was also apple pie, apple-blueberry pie, and pecan pie. It seems so unfair that Thanksgiving has to include so much yummy dessert--but I guess it's okay to to eat like it's Thanksgiving once a year.

We played a lot of Dutch Blitz and visited a museum of art on Friday. We really enjoyed the museum. There was a huge exhibit of armor from the 1400s to the 1700s--yes, real armor, and just like you see it in the movies. It was really interesting to see, although it was also kind of disturbing to see so much stuff that was used to kill. There were also a ton of other exhibits of European art, furniture, and architecture. We saw several rooms that had literally been taken from the mansions they were originally from--as in, they had the wood floors, the fancy paneling, the furniture, the paintings, the oven, the chandelier, even some of the old windows. When we moved into some exhibits of Spain there was an entire plaza that had been brought to the museum. It was all just worked into the museum. Instead of modern doors they used real archways and doors from buildings made "back then." It was all quite amazing to see. I don't think I realized how much of this stuff was still preserved. We were also able to see some things from Asia before the European and Asian exhibits closed, and then we hurried through the American art because we were getting tired. RT and I thought it was interesting to see the differences between European and American art.

We came back on Saturday. K was very good through the entire trip. I had been a little nervous that he wouldn't sleep well in a playpen instead of his crib, but he took great naps and slept tolerably well at night. He mostly slept when we were in the car, except when he got hungry. It was fun for him to see his cousins a little bit. It will be fun for him to see more family in January. It was also nice to sit and talk with RT about lots of things while we were driving.

Thanks to our family for letting us come stay with you for a few days! We had such a good time!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I'm so glad that you got to visit family for Thanksgiving- although I am sorry about the traffic! It sounds like you have a great trip.

Amy T said...

So glad you could come! We were all happy to see you, and especially to get to meet your darling little baby.

Blog Archive

Followers